Trying to cut tree branches is a tough job. If you’ve ever climbed on a shaky ladder with a chainsaw, you know what I’m talking about.
It’s scary to imagine falling down and injuring yourself when all you want to do is to keep your tree healthy.
But there is a simple solution to avoid taking this risk. That is to get yourself an electric pole saw.
So let’s take a look at the best electric pole saw you can buy based on your pruning needs.
|Sun Joe SWJ800E Corded Pole Saw||1|
|Remington RM1025SPS Corded Pole Saw||2|
|BLACK+DECKER Pole Saw||3|
|Earthwise CVPS43010 Corded Pole Saw||4|
|WEN 4019 Electric Telescoping Pole Saw||5|
What is an electric pole saw?
An electric pole saw comes with a chainsaw attached to one end of a long pole. This helps you prune tree branches without climbing on a ladder.
The chainsaw is powered by an electric system. This could be connected to a power outlet or it could be battery-powered as for a cordless pole saw.
Why should you buy an electric pole saw?
Having a garden with plenty of trees means you need to keep them healthy. Part of this is to prune the branches due to disease or to control the growth.
An electric pole saw can help you trim tree branches without risking yourself on a ladder with a pruning saw or a chainsaw.
There are other options like a manual pole saw or a gas pole saw. However, if you’re looking for an inexpensive, lightweight, automatic and low-maintenance option, an electric pole saw is your best choice.
We also have a buying guide for the best pole saw if you’re looking for a manual, gas, or cordless option.
Should you buy a corded or cordless electric pole saw?
A corded pole saw needs to be plugged into a power outlet. Or it can be cordless that runs on battery power.
If you’ve trees in a small landscape that can be covered with a long extension cord, a corded electric pole saw is sufficient.
If you have a large yard and need a bit more mobility, a cordless electric pole saw is good. Though you do need to recharge the battery after a certain time of use.
The cordless pole saws are heavier than the corded ones due to the battery. They’re also a bit more expensive.
This guide will help you pick the best corded electric pole saw for your needs. If you want to look at the cordless options, please head over to the cordless pole saw reviews.
How to choose the best electric pole saw?
There are some factors that can guide you to make the best decision when buying an electric pole saw.
The weight of the electric pole saw is very important when you are going to use it for extended periods of time.
Electric pole saws are lightweight when compared to a gas pole saw. But a corded electric pole saw is lighter than a cordless one. Because the cordless one has a battery attached to it that increases the weight. A corded one might weigh less than 10 pounds while a cordless one weights around 10 to 15 pounds.
Some electric tree trimmers have the motor attached to the saw. This makes the saw detachable and it can be used as a regular chainsaw. The drawback is that the weight distribution is uneven with most of the weight on the cutting end. This will tire you quickly if you are spending a lot of time cutting.
Pole saws that don’t have a detachable saw have the motor on the lower end of the pole. This makes the weight distribution on the pole saw a lot more even.
So if you’re going to be using the electric tree pole saw for a long period of time then choose one with a motor on the lower end. Otherwise, you’re fine choosing one with a detachable saw.
The better the power of your electric pole saw the quicker will your cuts be. And that is based on how powerful the motor is.
Choose a pole saw that has at least a 6.5 Amps power rating because it will give you an RPM of 300 to 600 which is pretty good.
The pole that attaches to the saw is crucial to give it stability. You don’t want a wobbly pole as you’re trying to cut branches. That will make the experience horrible.
So make sure the pole is sturdy and fits well with the saw. The pole could have a steel, fiberglass, or aluminum shaft.
Saw and chain
The most important part of the electric pole saw is the saw. You want one that works well with the chain attached to it. A loose chain will not give you the best cutting power.
Try to get a pole saw that has an easy to use chain tensioning system that will ensure you can keep the saw and chain tightened enough to work as best as possible.
Cutting capacity measures the thickness of the branch that the electric pole saw can cut.
This is easy to know from the length of the saw. The longer the saw, the thicker branches it can cut. Usually, the saw length varies from 6 to 12 inches.
Before you buy a pole saw just have a look at the branches in your yard that you’ll end up cutting. And choose the electric pole saw based on the average thickness. Do note that if the branch is about 6 inches thick you’ll need a saw that is 8 inches or more to cut it.
Choosing a saw length that is best for your needs will help you lower the cost and maintenance of your saw.
You wouldn’t need a pole saw if you did not have to cut those hard to reach branches.
That is why the pole reach is an important factor while choosing a good electric pole saw. Do note that the pole reach includes your arms reach. So a pole saw that has a 12 feet pole reach is less than 12 feet in length and includes the arms reach.
Electric pole saws have a pole reach from 10 to 15 feet and you can choose the one that you think would be needed based on the height of the branches you want to cut.
If you don’t mind it get an adjustable one with as much pole reach as possible. It will help you cut branches that are of varying length because the pole reach is adjustable.
You won’t have a problem storing the pole saw because it’s extendable and you can increase/decrease the length as you want.
A chainsaw bar and chain get lots of friction when in use. That’s why you want to keep it well-oiled. This keeps the chainsaw well-oiled for good performance and makes it last longer.
Some pole saws come with an automatic oiler. You fill up the reservoir and the oil drips during use. The level can be checked in the level indicator.
While using the pole saw, remember to check the oil levels in the oil reservoir. If it drops too low, it’s time for a refill.
Some may not have this option and you need to remember to manually oil the bar and chain before use.
Having a detachable head in your electric pole saw can be useful because you can use it as a regular chainsaw if needed.
However, the weight distribution becomes a bit uneven because the motor is attached at the saw end.
If you find yourself cutting small logs and shrubs often then you should consider opting for a detachable head.
Electric pole saw create less noise than a gas pole saw. But it’s good to check the noise levels of the pole saw before buying.
If you don’t want to disturb the peace of your home and neighbors, it’s good to select one that’s as silent as possible.
A pole saw is a machine and like every machine it needs maintenance. An electric pole saw has fewer moving parts than a gas one. So the maintenance is low as well.
Some electric pole saw come with an easy tensioning system. You need to ensure the chain tension is acceptable before using it.
An easy tension adjustment system helps you do this without needing a tool like a wrench to tighten the bolts.
Electric pole saws are inexpensive compared to gas ones. But it’s still better to go for a high-quality one that lasts a long time.
This is especially important if you trim branches often. If it’s just some occasional pruning, you can opt for a budget one.
An electric pole saw can become dangerous if you’re not careful using it. So safety is always an important factor when choosing one.
There may be built-in safety features like an automated safety system or emergency stop that comes with the pole saw. There could also be a safety switch to use for protection.
Check that the handle and grip are good. It should not slip so you’re always in control of the pole saw when it’s in use.
Make sure all the components of the pole saw are well-connected and tight. You don’t want it falling apart while working it overhead on a tree branch.
It’s always good to have a warranty on your electric pole saw in case it stops working.
Most pole saws will come with a warranty and you should make sure that it does have one. Some dealers might also give you an additional year based on the deal or if you buy something more from them.
The price of an electric pole saw can vary a lot based on the factors we have seen. But you need to decide on how much you can spend.
If you’re working in a small yard and just want to trim a few branches then you just need a budget pole saw that does not break the bank. There is no need to opt for a professional-quality pole saw that can cost a lot of money.
How do you use an electric pole saw for pruning trees?
- Make sure the area below the branch you intend to cut is free from people and things.
- Extend the pole saw to the desired length so you can reach the branch without overextending yourself.
- Use a long outdoor extension cord that you can plug the pole saw power connector to.
- Make sure you have a firm grip on the pole saw handle and are standing on firm ground. Raise the pole vertically so you can balance it.
- Then move the pole at an angle to the branch you want to cut.
- Make sure you’re not standing below the branch but at a safe distance and the saw is at an angle.
- Start the saw and make a jump cut below the branch that you need to cut. This will help the branch to fall predictably.
- Then place the saw on the top of the branch and allow it to rest its weight on the branch.
- Start the saw and make a small wedge in the branch so it will not slip as you cut.
- Then start cutting the branch with a light steady pressure allowing the saw to do the cutting.
- Stay in control and don’t raise your arms over your head.
- When you’re done with the cutting, stop the chainsaw and clear the work area of all the wood.
What safety precautions are needed when using an electric pole saw?
- There are a few things to keep in mind when using an electric pole saw.
- Use the pole saw during the day when there is light so you know what you’re doing. Make sure the weather is nice and dry before using an electric pole saw.
- When using a corded pole saw, use a good extension cord and make sure there is no entangling.
- While using the saw be careful and avoid cutting near electrical wires or roofs.
- Cut the branches at a slow pace and only cut one branch at a time.
- Be careful that you don’t stand under the branch you’re cutting as it can fall on you.
- Don’t try to cut a branch thicker than 8 inches with an electric pole saw. Get some professional help for thicker ones.
- While using the pole saw watch out for the kickback that can happen when the head of the saw touches the branch.
- Make sure you’re wearing safety gear before using the pole saw. This means use heavy-duty clothes, boots, eye and ear protection, gloves, and a hard hat. Check that the safety switch is functional before using the saw.
- Before and during the use of the pole saw, keep checking the oil level every few minutes. Proper lubrication will help extend the life of your saw.
- Make sure there are no people or pets near the working area.
- Hold the chainsaw with a firm grip on the handle so it does not slip out and stand in a stable position while cutting.
- While cutting the branch, don’t force the saw into it. Just place the saw on the branch and let its weight and force do the cutting.
How do you maintain an electric pole saw?
- You want your electric pole saw to last a long time and that’s why it’s important to keep it well-maintained.
- Whenever you want to use the pole saw, make sure the components like nuts, bolts, screws are tight enough. If you see some loose, you need to tighten them.
- If there’s any damage to the components, you need to get them fixed or replaced.
- The bar and chain should be sharp before you try to use the chainsaw. A dull blade means it won’t cut as well. And it increases the risk of injury as you try to force the blade into the branch.
- Make sure the bar and chain are tight enough before use. You can use the easy tension adjustment system if it’s available. Or you need to use a wrench to tighten it.
- A well-oiled bar and chain means your pole saw lasts longer and cuts better. Make sure there’s plenty of oil in the reservoir when using it.
- After you have used the pole saw, clean it using a damp cloth. And then it’s time to store it away in a cool, dry place.
- Keep the pole saw locked away to protect it from damage and unwanted attention from children.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of an electric pole saw?
The electric corded pole saw needs to connect to a power outlet. That means it does not need to carry a power source that a gas or cordless pole saw needs.
This makes the electric pole saw quite light and easy to carry around the yard for a long time.
Most corded electric pole saws are quite inexpensive compared to gas or cordless ones. They don’t need to have their own power source which helps lower the cost.
Having an electric motor makes the electric pole saw a lot less noisy than their gas counterparts.
The electric system means that the pole saw needs less maintenance compared to a complicated one such as the gas engine.
An electric pole saw has less power output than a gas one. It’s suitable for regular pruning trees in the garden.
But if you’re looking to prune a lot of trees and need something professional, you need a gas pole saw.
The electric pole saw is limited in mobility by the length of the outdoor extension cord you use.
The gas and cordless ones can be carried around without having to worry about the extension cord or availability of a power outlet.
Electric pole saws are quite durable for your regular house use.
But if you want to prune several trees and need something professional, a gas pole saw is much more durable.
Electric Pole Saw Reviews
Sun Joe SWJ800E Corded Pole Saw
- EXTENDS REACH: Ideal for cutting overhanging limbs and thin logs
- TELESCOPING: Pole extends to 8.7 ft. to provide 15 ft. of overhead reach. No Load Speed (rpm) 6000. Sound Power Level : 108 dB
- POWERFUL: 6.5-amp motor cuts branches up to 7.5-inches thick
Last update on 2021-05-13 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Sun Joe SWJ800E is a corded electric pole saw that works great on cutting small to medium branches.
It has a pole that can reach up to 15 feet when extended and comes in handy to reach those hard to reach branches. It’s also quite easy to extend the reach even during your cutting sessions.
The pole is quite strong and sturdy so it does not twist and turn when you extend it.
It has a 6.5 amp motor which is pretty decent and can cut branches up to 6 inches thick without adding a lot of pressure.
This pole saw weighs about 9.9 pounds which is not the most lightweight but pretty good.
One thing I like about this pole saw is that it comes with automatic lubrication which means I don’t have to worry about lubricating it as long as the oil reservoir is filled. It’s easy to check the oil level through the window on the reservoir.
This pole saw works great for cutting small to medium branches but it’s not the best for larger branches.
You can find out more if this is the right pole saw for you with our Sun Joe SWJ800E review.
Remington RM1025SPS Corded Pole Saw
- 2-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Logs on the ground? Quickly detach the saw from the pole to convert the unit from a pole saw into a chainsaw. No tools required
- LONG REACH: Designed with two aluminum booms extendable to 10-feet for high branches. With operator height considered, the pole saw can cut limbs 10-feet to 15-feet overhead
- ELECTRIC POWERED: An 8-amp electric motor instantly starts to drive the chain over the low-kickback, 10-inch bar
Last update on 2021-05-14 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Remington RM1025SPS pole saw is a corded electric pole saw that can be used to trim small branches.
It has a powerful 8-amp electric motor that can cut through wood quite easily. The 10-inch bar and chain can easily cut through an 8-inch thick block of wood.
The pole can be extended to have a reach of about 15 feet so it’s easy to reach those high branches. It has an anti-rotation design so it will be stable when you are using it extended. It is made of aluminum and fiberglass and has a high quality.
The saw can be easily detached from the pole and act an as a chainsaw.
Since the motor is attached to the saw, the weight distribution is focused at the end. And this might make it a bit heavy if you use it for a long period of time.
This pole saw weighs around 15 pounds which is a bit on the heavier side for a corded pole saw but it does have a bigger engine and saw length.
It does not have an automatic oiler but has a push bulb that you need to press a couple of times before you start sawing.
Remington offers a limited two-year warranty on this pole saw which is pretty good.
Like some other pole saws, it can leak oil in case you store it for a long time and keep it vertical.
The manufacturer Remington has been in the tools business for several years since its start in 1921 so it has very good brand value.
You can find out more information about this tool in our full Remington RM1025SPS review.
BLACK+DECKER Pole Saw
- 6.5 Amp powerful motor for demanding cuts
- 10" Oregon low-kickback bar and chain for improved cutting performance
- Sturdy 9.5' Extended pole for hard to reach branches
Last update on 2021-05-14 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Black + Decker PP610 is a corded electric pole saw that comes with a 6.5 Amp motor. This is powerful enough for pruning tree branches in the garden.
The 10-inch Oregon bar and chain is good quality and gives you a good cutting performance. It also helps to have a low kickback to protect you from injury.
The pole can be extended up to 9.5 feet which makes it easy to reach the tree branches.
It’s good that this has an automatic oiling system. This ensures that the bar and chain are well-lubricated when in use. This improves the performance and durability of the pole saw.
The pole saw weighs about 7.9 pounds which makes it decent weight to carry around the yard without fatigue.
The Black + Decker PP610 does leak a little oil when in storage. So keep it in a place where you don’t have issues with this.
It can get a bit top-heavy when the pole is fully extended.
You can get a lot more information about this tool in our Black Decker PP610 review.
Earthwise CVPS43010 Corded Pole Saw
- Earthwise Power Tools by ALM 2-in-1 pole chainsaw that converts in seconds
- Powerful 7-Amp electric pole saw that can trim tree branches or wood limbs and cut up stumps or logs
- The corded chainsaw has 10" bar and chain with adjustable pivot cutting head that gives you 5 different angle settings
Last update on 2021-05-13 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Earthwise CVPS43010 is a corded electric pole saw that comes with a detachable chainsaw. This makes it a convenient 2-in-1 system.
It has a 7 Amp powerful motor that makes cutting small to medium branches quite easy. With its 10 inch saw and chain, you’ll be able to cut a branch that is up to 8 inches thick.
The pole is extendable and can reach about 15 feet when fully extended.
It has an automatic oiling system along with an oiling window that shows the level of oil available. But the oil reservoir seems to be a bit small and needs frequent refilling.
The pole saw weighs 9.2 pounds which is average in the corded electric pole saws available.
It comes with a limited two-year warranty but one thing to note is that since it is Made in China replacement parts may be hard to come by.
To get a more detailed look at this electric pole saw, check out our Earthwise CVPS43010 review.
WEN 4019 Electric Telescoping Pole Saw
- Telescoping pole adjusts anywhere from 5.3 feet to 7.3 feet for up to 12 feet of overhead reach
- 6-Amp motor rotates the Oregon chain up to 36 feet per second
- Weighs in at a mere 6.7 pounds to limit user fatigue during operation
Last update on 2021-05-14 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The WEN 4019 is a corded electric pole saw that comes with a 6-Amp electric motor. This is good enough to prune tree branches in the garden.
The telescopic pole can be adjusted to about 7.3 feet. This gives you an overhead reach of about 12 feet based on the height of the person using it.
The weight of this pole saw is just 6.7 pounds making it quite lightweight. You should have no problems using this for a long time in your yard pruning trees.
The design is good that you can adjust the chain tensioning without need for a tool such as a wrench.
The 8-inch Oregon bar and chain help you prune tree branches up to 6 inches thick. The automatic oiling system helps keep it lubricated for good performance and durability. Though it tends to consume oil a bit fast.
The shoulder strap is a nice touch and you get a two-year limited warranty. You can get more details of this tool in our extensive WEN 4019 review.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who makes the best electric pole saws?
Companies like Sun Joe, Greenworks, Remington, Black+Decker, WEN make some of the best electric pole saws.
What is the longest electric pole saw?
The WEN 4019 is the longest electric pole saw in our list. It has a telescopic pole that gives an overhead reach of 12 feet.
Where can you buy an electric pole saw?
You can buy an electric pole saw online at Amazon, Walmart, Lowes, Harbor Freight and other stores.
What is the best electric pole saw for the money?
The Earthwise CVPS43010 is the best electric pole saw for the money. It also has a 2-in-1 system where you can use it as a pole saw or a detachable chainsaw.
Does an electric pole saw need oil?
Yes, the electric pole saw needs oil. This oil is to keep the bar and chain lubricated for better performance and durability. Some pole saws have an automatic oiling system while others need to be lubricated manually.
Which is the best lightweight electric pole saw?
The WEN 4019 is the best lightweight electric pole saw weighing at just 6.7 lbs.
Is there an electric pole saw for pruning palm trees?
The Sun Joe SWJ800E is a good electric pole saw for pruning palm trees as the 8-inch bar and chain make it suitable. Any pole saw with an 8-inch bar and chain would be good for this purpose.
Now you no longer need to risk climbing a shaky ladder with a chainsaw just to cut a few branches.
Just get yourself a good quality electric pole saw and you’ll be enjoying your time trimming those hard to reach branches.
And you have no risk of falling and injuring yourself when all you want to do is help your trees.
Our best choice when it comes to value for money is the Sun Joe SWJ800E Corded Pole Saw. It is a powerful pole saw that gives you the performance you need while being light on the pocket.