When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
Pruning branches, shrubs, and trees in your garden is what makes it beautiful and free from pests and diseases.
It’s easy to prune the branches and shrubs with your pruners and loppers. But the branches of tall trees are a bit tricky.
It’s not good to try using a pruning saw standing on a ladder. Instead, choose the best cordless pole saw that will help you prune the branches with ease.
|Greenworks 20672 40V Cordless Pole Saw||1|
|BLACK+DECKER LPP120 20-Volt Cordless Pole Saw||2|
|WORX WG321 20V Cordless Electric Chainsaw||3|
|Oregon Cordless PS250-A6 Pole Saw||4|
|Ryobi ZRP4361 18-Volt Cordless Electric Pole Saw||5|
What is a cordless pole saw?
A cordless pole saw has a chainsaw attached to the end of a pole. This helps you to trim branches of tall trees without risking yourself on a ladder.
The chainsaw is powered by an electric system that makes use of a rechargeable battery.
Why should you buy a cordless pole saw?
If you have small trees with a few branches, a manual pole saw may be a good choice.
If you have a small garden with a few trees, a corded pole saw should get the job done at a low cost.
But if you have a large garden with many trees and branches, a cordless pole saw is the best tool for the trimming work.
If you want to find out more about manual, electric, and gas pole saw reviews, please click here.
How to choose the best cordless pole saw?
You can make a good buying choice if you know what characteristics to look for in a cordless pole saw.
The weight of a pole saw is crucial when you’re going to be using it for a long period of time in the garden.
A cordless pole saw may weigh more than a corded one because it has to carry the battery with it. This could make the weight of the battery operated tree trimmer in the 10 to 15 pounds range.
The other factor to consider is the weight distribution on the pole saw. Some pole saw come with a detachable cutting head. This means the cutting head has the motor attached to it. Such a pole saw makes the weight distribution uneven on the cutting side.
There are other pole saw that have the cutting head on one side and the motor attached to the other side of the pole. This makes the weight distribution even so you can carry it for a long period of time without fatigue.
If you’re going to use the cordless pole saw a lot, it’s better to go for one with a good weight distribution. Otherwise, you’ll end up tiring yourself doing the trimming.
The battery capacity of your cordless pole saw determines how long you can use it in the garden. The battery uses Lithium-Ion technology and the capacity is measured in Volts.
A bigger battery has its drawbacks. It increases the weight of the pole saw and the price as well.
You can get a range of battery capacities ranging from 18V to 40V. So pick one that is best suited for your needs.
The higher the power of the cordless pole saw, the faster it will cut. But high power also means it’ll cost that much more.
You want a pole saw that comes with enough power to generate a cutting speed of 300 to 600 RPM.
The pole is an important factor that you should consider for your cordless pole saw. It gives stability and control while trimming the branches.
Make sure the pole is sturdy and goes well with the saw. It’s good to choose one that is made from high-quality material like aluminum, steel, or fiberglass.
Saw and chain
The saw and chain are the components that help do the trimming. You want the chain to be the right fit for the saw. It should neither be too tight nor too loose.
Most cordless pole saw come with an easy tension adjustment system that will help you adjust the chain to the saw.
Cutting capacity means how thick branches can the rechargeable pole saw cut. This is determined by the length of the saw.
The longer the saw, the thicker the branches it can cut. You can get a cordless pole saw that has bar length from 6 to 12 inches.
Make sure to check the average thickness of the branches in your garden. Then you can pick a cordless pole saw with the right saw length.
Do remember that if the thickness of the branch is 6 inches, you’ll need an 8 inch saw to trim it. Choosing the right saw length will help you trim with ease and extend the life of your pole saw.
The pole reach determines how long the pole saw can reach while cutting the tree branches.
You should remember that the pole reach mentioned includes the arms reach as well. So a pole saw having a pole reach of 10 feet includes your arm’s length as well.
The pole reach of a rechargeable pole saw can range from 10 to 15 feet. So pick one based on the height of the branches you want to cut.
Most pole saw come with a pole that is either telescopic or extendable so you should not have a problem storing it.
Cutting thick tree branches causes a lot of load on the bar and chain of a chainsaw. That’s why you need to keep it well-oiled when in use.
The oil will help the saw cut better and keep it in good shape for a long time.
You may need to dab oil manually on some pole saws but many new ones come with an automatic oiler. This helps the bar and chain automatically when it’s being used.
You need to fill up the oil reservoir to the required level and leave the rest to the system.
The cutting head of some pole saws can be detached and used as a chainsaw. So that’s something you should consider if you would like to have both for your garden.
But having a detachable head means that the motor is attached to the cutting head. This makes the weight distribution a bit uneven.
A chainsaw can make some noise that disturbs people around you. The good thing is that cordless pole saws are less noisy than a gas one.
But it’s always good to check the maximum noise levels of the pole saw if that’s your concern.
Choose one that you’re comfortable to use without disturbing the peace of your home and neighbors.
It’s important to maintain the rechargeable pole saw so it works efficiently and lasts for a long time.
Make sure the chain tensioning is good before using the pole saw. Some are available with an easy tensioning adjustment system. So you don’t need to use a tool like a wrench.
If there’s an automatic oiling system that’s even better as you don’t need to worry about keeping the bar and chain well-oiled.
You want to buy a battery-powered pole saw that is durable so it lasts you a long time. This might mean you need to spend a bit more.
If you’re going to use the pole saw just to trim a few branches some times then you may settle for a budget one.
A battery-powered pole saw can be dangerous if you don’t use it correctly. Or if the safety is not up to the mark.
Always make sure all the necessary safety features are available. This could be built-in features like an automated safety system or an emergency stop.
Make sure that the pole saw handle is easy to grip so it does not slip out of your hand and risk injuring yourself.
Choose one that has good quality components that fit together well. You don’t want the components to fall off during use and injure yourself.
You want to get as much of a warranty as possible for your rechargeable pole saw.
Some brands will give you a much longer warranty than others. You may get an additional year of warranty from some dealers based on whether you buy something else from them.
We always encourage to go for the best quality pole saw even if the price is a bit higher. You get what you pay for and a high-quality, durable pole saw will cost a bit more.
But the price you need to pay depends on how much you use the pole saw and your budget. If you use the pole saw to trim a few branches, you can make do with a budget one.
How do you use a cordless pole saw for tree trimming?
- Check the height of the branch and extend the pole saw so it can reach the desired height.
- Keep a firm grip on the cordless pole saw and ensure you’re feet are in a stable position. Raise the pole saw so it’s vertical and you can balance it.
- Make sure you’re not standing underneath the branch you want to cut. Place the saw beneath the branch at an angle and make a jump cut. This will help you control where the branch falls.
- Then place the saw on the top of the branch and let it rest where you want to cut. Start the saw and make a small cut so the pole saw can sit in the cut.
- Then start cutting the branch and let the saw do the cutting with its weight. If required, apply a tiny bit of pressure to assist the saw.
- Always keep the saw in your control and don’t raise your arms above your head.
- When you’re done with the cutting, stop the saw and clear the work area of all the fallen branches.
What safety precautions are needed when using a cordless pole saw?
- There are some precautions you need to take when using the cordless pole saw.
- It’s an electric pole saw so it’s best to use it during the day when you can see what you’re doing. You don’t want to use it in bad weather when it’s raining or stormy.
- Make sure the battery is in working condition and fully charged before using the rechargeable pole saw.
- You don’t want to use the cordless pole saw near roofs or near electrical wires because you might end up cutting them.
- You want to cut branches at a slow pace, cutting one branch at a time. You don’t want to stand under the branch while cutting because it can fall on you.
- If the branch is too thick, it’s not suggested to use the cordless pole saw. It might be better to get the help of a professional.
- A pole saw is dangerous equipment if you’re not careful. That’s why you should wear protective gear like long pants, boots, safety gloves, eye and ear protection, and a protective helmet.
- Before and during the use of the cordless pole saw, keep an eye on the oil level in the reservoir. The oil keeps the bar and chain well-oiled giving you better cutting power. It helps extend the life of your pole saw.
- You want to make sure there are no people, kids, or pets anywhere near the work area before you start trimming.
- Hold the pole saw with a firm grip and stand in a stable position while trimming the branches.
- You don’t want to force the pole saw to cut the branches. Place it on the branch and let the weight and power of the saw do the cutting.
How do you maintain a cordless pole saw?
- Maintaining your cordless pole saw will ensure it gives you a good cutting performance and lasts a long time.
- Before and after using the pole saw, check to see if there are any parts that are loose. Check the nuts, bolts, and screws to see if something is missing or needs to be replaced.
- Make sure the saw is sharp enough before using the pole saw. Tighten the chain to the saw so that it’s neither too tight nor too loose. This will give you the best cutting performance without damaging the saw.
- Before using the pole saw, make sure there’s plenty of oil in the reservoir. The oil will keep the bar and chain lubricated while cutting. This helps make the pole saw durable and give you a good cutting performance.
- When you’re done using the cordless pole saw, clean the saw and pole with a clean, damp cloth.
- Store the pole saw in a dry, ventilated place far from the reach of children or pets.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of a cordless pole saw?
The battery-operated pole saw is much lighter than a gas-powered one. That’s because it does not have a gas engine.
The weight it needs to carry is of the pole saw and the rechargeable battery. It’s easy to carry around the yard without tiring yourself.
The cordless pole chainsaw is inexpensive when compared to a gas one. That makes it great to use for household purposes.
If you’ve some trees in your yard that need pruning, such a pole saw is a great choice.
The electric motor creates a lot less noise than a gas one.
The electric motor of a battery-operated pole saw needs a lot less maintenance compared to a complicated gas engine of a gas-powered one.
The rechargeable battery helps to keep this pole saw portable. You don’t need to be limited by the outdoor extension cord like a corded one.
If you’re looking for a professional pole saw, a gas powered one is what you need. The electric ones such as the cordless are suitable for home use but not commercial.
They don’t have the power capacity, durability, and portability of the gas ones.
The cordless pole saw is a lot more portable than a corded one. However, the time you can use it for depends on how long the battery lasts.
And then you need to recharge the battery before you can use it again.
A gas pole saw lasts for a long time on a single refill. And it’s easy to get a refill without having to wait for long.
Battery Pole Saw Reviews
Greenworks 20672 40V Cordless Pole Saw
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery System powers multiple tools for complete yard system-includes 2Ah Battery and Charger
- 8-Inch bar and chain for easy trimming of branches. Product weight: 8.360 pounds
- Easy adjust chain tensioning system for quick tightening of the chain
Last update on 2020-04-17 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Greenworks 20672 cordless pole saw comes with a 40V Lithium-ion battery that can give you 50 cuts on a 4×4 wood.
The cutting head of this pole saw is not detachable but this means you get a good balance while cutting.
The cutting bar is 8 inches long which means you can cut branches up to 6 inches thick.
The weight of this pole saw is 8.4 lbs which makes it the most lightweight cordless pole saw in our list. It’s a pleasure to work with this pole saw for a long period of time in the garden.
This pole saw comes with an easy adjustment chain tensioning system. This means you can keep the chain well adjusted to the bar to get the best cutting performance and durability.
It comes with an automatic oiling system that will ensure the bar and chain are lubricated while cutting branches. The problem is that the oil may leak when you store the pole saw for a long time.
This pole saw is detachable into three parts which makes it easy to store once you’re done with the cutting.
The Greenworks pole saw comes with a limited four-year warranty which is the longest in our list of pole saws.
Read the Greenworks 20672 review to find out more about this cordless pole saw.
BLACK+DECKER LPP120 20-Volt Cordless Pole Saw
- Provides up to 100 cuts of 1 1/2 inches pine branches per charge
- 8" cutting bar & chain allows for a maximum cutting diameter of 6"
- Includes 1 high capacity 20V LI ion pack, charger, oil bottle & wrench
Last update on 2020-07-09 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Black+Decker LPP120 is a cordless pole saw that comes with a 20V Lithium-ion battery enough for your regular trimming needs
The pole can be extended to reach 14 feet which is pretty good to reach those far away branches. But when you extend it to full length, the pole can get a bit unsteady.
This pole saw comes with an 8-inch bar which means you can cut branches up to 6 inches thick with ease.
The Black+Decker LPP120 weighs about 14 pounds which makes it heavy thanks to its battery. You may find it heavy to use for a long period of time in the yard.
There is no automatic oiling system with this pole saw. That means you need to manually oil the bar and chain between cutting.
This pole saw comes with a good quality storage bag and a blade cover.
The Black+Decker LPP120 cordless pole saw comes with a limited two-year warranty which is pretty good.
Read our Black and Decker LPP120 Review to find out more about this pole saw.
WORX WG321 20V Cordless Electric Chainsaw
- Guard covers chain for enhanced safety
- Extension pole allows for a reach up to 12 feet or more
- Steel teeth hold work in place while cutting for stability
Last update on 2020-04-12 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The WORX WG321 is a cordless chainsaw that comes with a 20V Lithium-Ion battery. It’s a bit different than a pole saw that there is a jawsaw attached.
This comes with a guard cover over the chain that gives you added safety from injuring yourself.
The pole can be extended to reach up to 12 feet when you’re trimming tree branches. It does become a bit out of balance when fully extended because of the weight distribution.
This pole saw is different from others because of the jawsaw which can help hold the work in place while cutting.
The WORX WG321 comes with an auto-tension system which helps you get the proper tension in the bar and chain.
The pole saw has an automatic oiling system that keeps the bar and chain well lubricated. This will help get a good cutting performance while extending the life of the saw. All you need to do is keep enough oil in the reservoir and it will oil itself while cutting.
The weight of this pole saw is 12 lbs which makes it decent weight considering it holds a battery.
The WORX WG321 pole saw comes with a limited three-year warranty which is good to have.
We have a detailed review of the WORX WG321 if you’re interested.
Oregon Cordless PS250-A6 Pole Saw
- Constant no-fade power thanks to the 40V premium lithium ion battery pack (included) which gives you enough power for a day’s work. Battery can be charged up to 1,000 times. Make up to 500 cuts on 2-3” diameter limbs using the 4.0 Ah lithium ion battery
- Starts instantly, so you don’t have to deal with the hassle of pull cords or wait for the saw to warm up
- 8 inch bar has a compact cutting head which allows you to reach far away branches and gives you better balance
Last update on 2020-07-09 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Oregon PS250-A6 cordless pole saw comes with a 40V li-ion battery that gives 500 cuts on 2-inch to 3-inch branches.
The motor of this pole saw is mounted in the middle which means you get a well-balanced tool. This should make it easy to hold it while cutting branches.
The bar length is 8 inches which should help you cut branches up to 6 inches thick. It comes with a branch hook that will help you trim the branches with ease.
The weight of this pole saw is 13.5 lbs including the battery which makes it a bit heavy to hold for a long period of time.
The Oregon PS250-A6 has a pole reach up to 15 feet when fully extended.
This pole saw comes with a limited three-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
You can read a lot more about the features available and if this is the right tool for you in our Oregon PS250 review.
Ryobi ZRP4361 18-Volt Cordless Electric Pole Saw
Last update on 2020-07-09 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Ryobi ZRP4361 cordless pole saw comes with an 18V Lithium-Ion battery enough for your trimming needs. The battery recharges in 30 minutes which is quite fast.
It has an automatic oiling system that should keep the bar and chain well oiled while cutting. This will give you better cutting performance and extend the life of the saw.
The shaft can extend up to 9.5 feet in length which should help you reach some hard-to-reach branches.
The pole saw weighs about 12.8 lbs which makes it heavy. It’s comfortable to use in the garden but you may fatigue when using it for a long period of time.
The Ryobi ZRP4361 comes with a limited one-year warranty which is the least you can expect from such a tool.
You can get a lot more information about this tool in our Ryobi ZRP4361 review.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best cordless pole saw?
We think the Greenworks 20672 is the best cordless pole saw. It’s inexpensive but gives good power. The head is detachable and can be used as a chainsaw.
Who makes the best battery powered pole saw?
Companies like Greenworks, Worx, Oregon, Ryobi, Stihl, Black + Decker make some of the best battery powered pole saws.
Does Stihl make a battery powered pole saw?
Yes, Stihl makes battery powered pole saws. Some models are HTA 65 and HTA 85.
Does Dewalt make a cordless pole saw?
Yes, Dewalt makes cordless pole saws. The DCPS620M1 20V MAX* XR Cordless Pole Saw Kit is an example.
Does Poulan make a cordless pole saw?
Yes, Poulan makes cordless pole saws. You can check out our Poulan Pro PPB40PS review.
What is the best battery pole saw for the money?
The Greenworks 20672 cordless 40V is the best battery pole saw for the money.
We recommend the Greenworks 20672 40V Cordless Pole Saw as the best cordless electric pole saw you can get.
It comes with a powerful motor that makes cutting a breeze. The 40V li-ion battery can last a long time before you need to recharge it.
The weight of this pole saw is 8.4 lbs which is pretty awesome for a cordless pole saw with a detachable head. The detachable head can be used as a chainsaw for trimming shrubs and trees in your garden.
It comes with an automatic oiling system and an easy adjust tensioning system that keep the chain and bar well-conditioned.
And it’s great to get a limited four-year warranty that is the most you can get for any cordless pole saw.