When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
It’s that time of the year when you need to prune branches in your garden. But which cutting tool is the best for the job?
Maybe you should use a pruning saw. But with so many branches to prune it would take you ages.
Then how about using a chainsaw. Wouldn’t that be faster? Yes, it would but you would risk life and limb if you stand on a ladder and try to prune branches.
The best tool for pruning hard to reach branches and do it fast is with the help of a pole saw. And if you’re looking for one that will give you great cutting power and portability then it has to be the best gas pole saw.
|Remington RM2599 Maverick Gas Pole Saw||1|
|Troy-Bilt TrimmerPlus PS720 Gas Pole Saw||2|
|Poulan Pro PP258TP Gas Pole Saw||3|
|Maxtra Gas Pole Saw||4|
|BLUE MAX 53542 Gasoline Pole Saw||5|
What is a gas pole saw?
A gas pole saw is a tool that has a gas-powered chainsaw attached at the end of a long pole. This helps you trim tree branches without the need of a ladder.
The chainsaw, in some pole saws, could be detachable and used for regular tree cutting operations as well.
The pole attached to the chainsaw can be extended so your reach is comfortable while pruning the tree branches.
Why should you buy a gas pole saw?
You should buy a gas-powered pole saw if you want to trim a lot of tree branches. A full tank of gas will help you prune a lot of trees before it needs a refill.
If you just want to prune a few branches a few times per year then you can check out other options as well.
These include a manual pole saw or an electric corded or cordless pole saw. They’re inexpensive and require less maintenance than gas pole saws.
How to choose the best gas pole saw?
There are some factors that can guide you to make the best decision when buying a pole saw.
When you’re holding the pole saw and cutting branches for several minutes the weight of the pole saw becomes important. Because the heavier the pole saw the faster you will get tired.
Gas pole saws are heavier than their electric counterparts so you’re already dealing with some more weight. But you need to make sure that the weight distribution on the pole saw is even. You don’t want a lot of weight focussed on the cutting end because you will get tired very fast holding such a pole saw.
Gas pole saws use a gas-powered engine. The power is measured in cc and the more powerful the engine, the heavier the pole saw will get.
A 25cc 2-cycle gas engine should be more than sufficient for pruning branches in your garden or backyard.
The pole should be durable and lightweight. But it should be stable and not wobble much when you have the pole extended for reaching those hard to reach branches. The less wobble the more stable your cutting experience will be.
Materials such as aluminum, steel, and fiberglass are good for making the pole stable and durable.
Saw and chain
The most important part of the pole saw is the bar and chain. It’s good to have the bar and chain made of durable material like steel.
It’s important to have the chain well oiled before and during the cutting. So try to get a gas-powered pole saw that comes with an automatic oiling system. You then don’t have to worry about keeping the chain oiled.
Using the pole saw will cause the chain to lose its tension. A well-tensioned chain is crucial to have the best cutting efficiency and increase the life of your pole saw.
So get one that comes with an easy adjustment chain tensioning system where you can just rotate a knob and adjust the tension in the chain. Otherwise, you’ll have to use a wrench to tighten the chain.
Cutting capacity measures the thickness of the branch that the gas powered pole saw can cut.
This is easy to know from the length of the saw. The longer the saw, the thicker branches it can cut. Usually, the saw length varies from 6 to 12 inches.
Before you buy a pole saw just have a look at the branches in your yard that you’ll end up cutting. And choose the gas powered pruning saw based on the average thickness. Do note that if the branch is about 6 inches thick you’ll need a saw that is 8 inches or more to cut it.
Choosing a saw length that is best for your needs will help you lower the cost and maintenance of your saw.
An important factor of the pole saw is the reach. Make sure you choose a pole saw with sufficient reach for the branches in your garden or backyard.
Pole reach means the length that the pole can reach when extended in your arms. So a pole saw with a pole reach of 12 feet is actually less than 12 feet in length.
Gas powered pole saws have a pole reach from 8 to 15 feet and you can choose the one that you think would be needed based on the height of the branches you want to cut.
The pole can be extendable or telescopic. You need to attach an additional piece to increase the length of an extendable pole. But in case of a telescopic pole, you just pull the pole out to increase the length.
Telescopic poles are more convenient but extendable poles are better to split up and store.
There’s a lot of friction that takes place with the chainsaw. That’s why it’s important to keep it well lubricated.
A well-oiled chainsaw helps it trim branches efficiently and keeps it in good shape for a long time.
You want to choose a gas-powered pole saw that comes with an automatic chain oiler. This helps keep the bar and chain lubricated without you having to worry about checking it.
While using the pole saw, remember to check the oil levels in the oil reservoir. If it drops too low, it’s time for a refill.
Some pole saw might offer the option of a detachable head. This means the chainsaw at the end can be removed and used as a regular one.
The benefit of such a pole saw is that you get two tools for the price of one. And it’s useful if you need to use a chainsaw often in your garden.
The drawback is that since the chainsaw is attached to one end of the pole with the motor, it becomes top-heavy. And balancing such a pole saw can be a bit tricky.
Gas pole saws create more noise than their electrical counterparts due to the powerful engines they possess.
So look for pole saws that create as less noise as possible if you don’t want to disturb your neighbors while cutting.
A gas pole chainsaw is a complicated piece of machinery. And that means it requires some maintenance to keep it in shape.
Some gas-powered pole saws might require less maintenance than others, so do check this out with the model you choose.
Be prepared to either learn some basics of gas pole chainsaw maintenance or hire a professional when the time comes for regular maintenance.
Most top rated gas pole saws provide a higher level of durability and power than electric ones. However, pick one based on your needs.
If you trim branches often then it’s best to go for a high-quality, professional one. If you’re a casual user, you can stick to one that is inexpensive but maybe a little lower in power.
There’s no compromise when it comes to the safety of using a gas pole chainsaw. Even if it costs you a bit more, stick with one that has good safety standards.
This could be features like an automated safety system or emergency stop. Or it could be something simple as an ergonomic, anti-slip grip so you’re in good control of the saw.
Make sure all the components of the pole saw are well-connected and tight. You don’t want it falling apart while working it overhead on a tree branch.
Of course, the longer the warranty the better it is for you in case the pole saw has problems.
Most pole saws come with a warranty period of two to four years. And some dealers will give you a deal where you get additional years either by paying a little bit more or buying something else from them.
Like many other things, the higher the quality of the pole saw the more money you have to spend buying it.
If you’re working in a small yard or pruning branches occasionally then you just need a budget gas-powered pole saw that will get the job done. You don’t need to spend your money on the high-end ones.
But if you’re looking to cut a lot of branches and need a professional level pole saw then be ready to spend a few bucks on a high-quality pole saw because the money will be worth the performance and durability that you get.
How do you use a gas pole saw for pruning trees?
- Extend the pole saw so it reaches the branch and you’re comfortable with the position.
- Keep a strong grip on the handle and make sure your standing on stable ground.
- Give the primer a few pumps before starting the engine so that the fuel is primed.
- Turn on the choke switch near the back of the engine.
- Press down on the throttle safety with your palm.
- Pull the start cord outwards to start the engine.
- Raise the pole vertically so you can balance it. Then move the pole at an angle to the branch you want to cut.
- Press the throttle as much as you need and make a jump cut below the branch that you need to cut. This will help the branch to fall predictably.
- Stop the throttle, place the saw on the top of the branch and allow it to rest its weight on the branch.
- Increase the throttle and make a small wedge in the branch so it will not slip as you cut.
- Then start cutting the branch with a light steady pressure allowing the saw to do the cutting.
- Stay in control and don’t raise your arms over your head.
- When you’re done with the cutting, stop the chainsaw and clear the work area of all the wood.
- What safety precautions are needed when using a gas pole saw?
- You need to be careful when using a gas powered pole saw as it can turn out to be dangerous.
- Make sure the lighting conditions are good when using gas-powered pole saws outdoors.
- Be careful when using the saw and avoid things like fences, rooftops, and wires. If you feel the job is too complicated for you, don’t hesitate to get professional help.
- Take your time as you trim the branches. Go over each branch carefully and cut them in a controlled manner.
- Your position should be away from the area where the branch is going to fall. It’s good to cut at an angle rather than straight below the branch.
- A gas pole chainsaw works great to cut branches within its limits. It’s not advisable to cut branches more than 8 inches thick with it. That’s when you need a professional.
- A common problem is kickback when using a pole saw. This happens when the tip of the chainsaw touches a branch and pushes the saw away. Train yourself to avoid this problem.
- Safety gear is mandatory when using any kind of chainsaw. This means using heavy-duty clothes, boots, eye and ear protection, safety gloves, and a hard hat.
- The bar and chain should remain well-lubricated when using the pole saw. Keep a check on the oil levels in the reservoir. If it drops too low, it’s time to add some more oil.
- Keep your children and pets away from the work area before you being the pruning. Remove any obstacles and debris near the work area so you don’t trip and injure yourself.
- When using the pole saw, hold it with a good grip. Keep your feet in a stable position.
- Never force the chainsaw on the branch. Place it on top of the branch and let the weight of the saw do the cutting for you.
How do you maintain a gas pole saw?
- It’s important to maintain your gas powered pole saw so it can last you for a long time.
- Before and after using the pole saw make sure to check the screws, nuts, and bolts for damage or wear and tear. If there is some damage then you’ll need to replace them.
- Make sure the cutter is sharp before using the saw. Tighten the chain to the saw before using it. And after using it loosen the chain so it lasts longer.
- Before using the pole saw, make sure the saw is manually oiled up. And also make sure the oil tank is full.
- Check if the air filter is functional or you need to replace it. Check if there is any fuel leak from the engine, fuel lines, or the tank.
- Make sure the starter cord is in working condition and vibration dampers are working fine. Also, check if the start plug is fine or you’ll need to replace it.
- After using the pole saw, clean it up using a damp cloth. And keep the pole saw in a dry ventilated place.
- If you’re not going to use the gas pole chainsaw for a while, remove the fuel and store it in a can with some fuel stabilizer.
- Keep the pole saw locked away to protect it from damage and unwanted attention from children.
What are the benefits and drawbacks of a gas pole saw?
Gas powered pole saws are known for their power and efficiency. They give a much better performance than electric pole saws.
If you’re looking to prune a lot of trees in the garden, a gas powered pole saw is your best choice.
A gas powered pole saw works for a long time on a refill of the gas tank. You can work outdoors trimming branches without having to stop.
This is better than a corded pole saw that is limited by the extension cord. Or a cordless pole saw that is limited by the battery power and needs a frequent recharge.
It’s also a lot easier to just fuel up the tank than to leave the battery to charge which can take a while.
Gas powered pole saws are a lot more durable than electric ones. That’s the reason professionals use them.
But to keep it durable and working, these pole saws do need a bit of maintenance every few months or years.
Gas powered pole saw use a gas engine and the fuel tank. This makes them heavier than electric or manual ones.
If you have problems carrying heavy objects for a long time then a gas powered pole saw might not be the best choice.
Gas powered pole saws are durable and efficient but this comes at a cost. They tend to be expensive compared to electric ones.
If you’re a professional or need something that lasts long, it’s not a problem. But if you just need an occasional pruning, it’s better to look at the electric or manual options.
A gas engine makes a lot more noise than electric ones. You need to protect your ears from when using gas powered pole saws.
And make sure your neighbors are aware before using it. It’s good to choose a time that is comfortable for everyone in the neighborhood.
A gas-powered pole saw has more moving parts than an electric or manual one. This means you need to put in more effort into maintaining it.
You either need to learn a bit about maintenance yourself or get the help of a professional when it comes time for the regular maintenance.
Gas Pole Saw Reviews
Remington RM2599 Maverick Gas Pole Saw
- This gas pole saw is an easy-to-use design used to cut limbs and branches without the need of a ladder
- 25cc 2-cycle engine has plenty of power to conquer tough tasks
- 8-inch bar and chain are mounted on a 7-foot extention pole, allowing the user to reach up to 12 feet
Last update on 2020-04-17 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Remington RM2599 is a gas powered pole saw that comes with a 25cc 2-cycle gas engine. This gives you good power for your regular tree pruning tasks.
The 8-inch bar and chain comes with a 7-foot extension pole. This helps you reach regular tree branches without a problem.
The automatic oiler helps keep the bar and chain well-lubricated. This helps improve its performance and keep it working for a long time. Though it may leak a bit of oil in storage.
There’s no easy chain tension adjustment system so you need to do it manually. The price of this pole saw is reasonable for the quality and power that you get.
If you want to know more, do read our detailed Remington RM2599 review.
Troy-Bilt TrimmerPlus PS720 Gas Pole Saw
- This pole saw's expansive height makes it perfect for trimming high branches
- 8-inch bar and chain with auto oiler saws through branches
- Connects to attachment-capable trimmers, including Troy-Bilt, Remington, and Craftsman
Last update on 2020-07-09 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Troy-Bilt TrimmerPlus PS720 is a gas powered pole saw that can be used with an attachment-capable trimmer like Troy-Bilt, Remington, or Craftsman.
This pole saw can reach up to 12 feet with its 7-foot pole and saw. This makes it suitable to reach several tree branches with ease.
You get a 2-year limited warranty with this pole saw that makes it good in case you need a replacement.
The 8-inch bar and chain will help you trim branches up to 7-inches in diameter. The auto oiler is great as it helps keep the bar and chain in good condition for great performance.
There is no easy tension adjustment system so you need to do it manually. And the casing is made from plastic.
Poulan Pro PP258TP Gas Pole Saw
- 8-inch saw bar cuts branches up to 6 Inch in diameter
- 2-stroke 25cc engine
- 12-foot total reach
Last update on 2020-07-09 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Poulan Pro PP258TP comes with a 25cc 2-cycle gas engine that’s good for regular pruning of trees in your garden.
The 8-inch bar and chain can help you prune branches up to 6-inches in diameter.
The total reach of this pole saw is 12 feet including the height of the operator using it. It’s an extendable pole rather than a telescopic one.
It’s easy to start up this gas-powered pole saw with the Surefire starting with Spring Assist.
The pole saw weighs about 20 pounds which makes it a bit heavy to carry around. It does have an automatic oiler which is useful to keep the bar and chain oiled up.
There’s also no easy tension adjustment system so you end up doing that manually as well.
You can find a lot more details about this gas pole saw in our Poulan Pro PP258TP review.
Maxtra Gas Pole Saw
- [REACH TO 14-15 FT]: Pole saw can be adjust from 8.2 to 11.4 FT. With user’s Height in consideration, which can cut branches 14-15 FT high. It will allow you to work with your feet on the ground rather than balanced precariously on a ladder
- [42.7cc ENGINE]: Super powerful 2-stroke 42.7cc engine has passed the EPA certified, which will cause less pollution or won’t do harm to body. Super powerful 42.7cc engine can cut limbs 7-9 inch easily. It can make your trimming more efficient & quick
- [OTHER ATTACHMENT AVAILABLE]: This extend gas pole saw can quick convert to other tools, such as: hedge trimmer, string trimmer, brush cutter. If you want to buy other attachments, please search: B07NYPNZ5K B07L87K4SB
Last update on 2020-07-09 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Maxtra gas pole chainsaw has a 42.7cc 2-cycle gas engine which is the most powerful one on our list. It makes cutting tree branches quite a breeze.
The length of the bar and chain is 10 inches which is quite long and you will be able to cut branches that are up to 8 inches thick.
The pole saw comes with an inertia-type safety chain brake that is very useful in case of kickback so it can help you avoid major injury.
The Maxtra gas pole saw comes with an automatic oiler system that will help keep the chain well oiled when it is in use. This will improve cutting efficiency and the life of the saw.
It does not have an easy adjustment chain tensioning system which means you need to have a wrench handy to adjust the tension before using the pole saw.
It comes with an anti-vibration system that will help reduce the amount of fatigue you face when using this pole saw for long periods of time.
The shoulder strap that comes with the pole saw is not the best and you may end up buying a more comfortable one.
The manual that comes with the Maxtra gas pole saw is not good enough to help you assemble it so you will end up looking for the information online.
If you’re looking for more information on this gas pole saw, check out our Maxtra review.
BLUE MAX 53542 Gasoline Pole Saw
Last update on 2020-07-09 // Source: Amazon Affiliates
The Blue Max 53542 is a gas-powered pole saw that comes with a 32.6cc powerful engine. This helps you prune trees in your yard with ease.
It has a safety automatic clutch that helps to start the chainsaw with ease. There’s an anti-vibration system that helps you prune trees without fatigue.
The 10-inch bar and chain can help you trim branches up to 8-inches thick. The pole saw has good balance and it’s easy to start and use.
This pole saw is around 21 pounds in weight which makes it a bit heavy. The parts are made of plastic so not as durable as would have been with metal.
You can get more detailed information about features of this tool in our BLUE MAX 53542 review.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best professional gas pole saw of 2019?
The best professional gas pole saw of 2019 is the Maxtra Gas Pole Saw. It comes with a 42.7cc powerful gas engine that makes pruning trees a breeze.
What is the best gas pole saw to buy?
The best gas pole saw to buy is the Remington RM2599 Maverick. It’s overall best pole gas saw that is inexpensive and has decent cutting power.
What is the longest gas pole saw?
The longest pole saw is the Troy Bilt TrimmerPlus PS720. It can reach up to 12 feet high based on the height of the operator.
What is the best gas pole saw for the money?
The best gas pole chainsaw for the money is the Remington RM2599 Maverick. It’s inexpensive compared to other gas pole saws and does a good job with regular pruning.
Who makes the best gas powered pole saw?
Companies like Remington, Poulan, Troy-Bilt, Maxtra, Stihl are some that make the best gas powered pole saw.
Where to buy a gas pole saw?
You can buy a gas pole saw online at Amazon, Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, Sears, Harbor Freight.
What is the best homeowner gas pole saw?
The best homeowner gas pole saw is the Remington RM2599 Maverick. It’s inexpensive, lightweight, and has good power for regular pruning.
What is the best lightweight gas pole saw?
The best lightweight gas pole saw is the Remington RM2599 Maverick weighing at 17.5 pounds.
What is the best well-balanced gas pole saw that is lightweight and powerful?
The Echo PPF-225 is a gas pole saw that is well-balanced. It is lightweight, durable, and powerful for pruning tree branches in the garden.
What is a gas pole saw that can be used with attachments?
The Craftsman P210 is a gas pole saw that can be used with attachments like trimmer, weeder, etc.
What is a good gas pole saw for home and commercial use?
The Husqvarna 525PT5S is a good gas pole saw for home and commercial use.
Where can I find more reviews about pole saws?
You can find more pole saw reviews on our website for gas, electric, and manual types.
No longer do you need to worry about how you are going to prune the many branches in your yard.
No longer do you need to risk yourself on a ladder with a pruning saw. Or a chainsaw.
No longer do you need to tire yourself out cutting away at those branches.
Choose the right gas pole saw for your needs and you’ll be well on your way to having the best backyard you can have.
In our opinion, the Remington RM2599 Maverick is the best value for money gas pole saw that you can buy for your regular gardening needs. It is lightweight, durable, and gives you decent cutting power for the regular trimming tasks in your garden.